New allied races are now available in World of Warcraft as part of patch 8.1.5.
Players will now be able to recruit the Kul Tiran Humans for the Alliance and the Zandalari Trolls for the Horde. Both new races were announced back at BlizzCon 2018 and set to be released after the Battle of Dazar’Alor raid went live.
Blizzard provided some screenshots showing off both races, as well as their racial mounts and brand new druid forms. There’s also some flavour text to introduce the new races and give players a little background information about their unique history and culture:
“Kul Tiras was founded by fearless explorers who sailed uncharted waters in search of adventure. As a key member of the Alliance of Lordaeron, the Kul Tiran navy dominated the seas of Azeroth with its legendary fleet. But after years of turmoil and hardship, the kingdom grew isolated and vulnerable to dark influences. Thanks to the help of brave heroes, House Proudmoore has been restored and Kul Tiras is poised to fight alongside the valiant Alliance once more.”
“The Zandalari are a proud people whose origins date back to the early days of Azeroth’s history. Their fierce warriors ride dinosaurs into battle, and they possess one of the most formidable naval fleets in the known world. But enemy attacks on their borders—as well as unrest within the king’s council—have threatened the kingdom’s foundations. By returning stability to Zandalar, the heroes of the Horde can gain a powerful new ally.”
The Kul Tirans are able to choose from the Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, and Warrior classes. They also have a good mix of racial traits, useful both inside and outside of combat.
- Brush It Off – Increases versatility and regenerates a portion of damage taken.
- Child Of The Sea – Allows players to hold their breath longer and swim faster.
- Haymaker – Haul off and punch an enemy, stunning and knocking them back.
- Jack Of All Trades – Increases player skill in every trade skill.
- Rime Of The Ancient Mariner – Reduces Frost and Nature damage taken.
Classes available to the Zandalari include Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, and Warrior. Zandalari Trolls have only four racial traits, the majority of which appear to be tuned towards combat.
- Embrace Of The Loa – Choose your Loa by making an offerings at Loa Shrines around the world. Each Loa grants unique powers.
- City Of Gold – Loot additional coin from monsters.
- Regeneratin’ – Concentrate to heal quickly over a short time.
- Pterrordax Swoop – Can whistle up a Pterrordax to glide you to the ground.
The Embrace Of The Loa trait is what interests us most. There are a total of six Loa Shrines situated throughout Dazar’Alor, each one granting a unique perk. Currently there is a five day cooldown on this spell, meaning that players can attune themselves to a new Loa only once every five days.
- Shrine of Akunda – Embrace of Akunda: Your healing spells have a chance to heal your target for an additional amount.
- Shrine of Bwonsamdi – Embrace of Bwonsamdi: Your damaging abilities have a chance to inflict additional shadow damage, and heal you for 100% of the damage dealt.
- Shrine of Gonk – Embrace of Gonk: Movement speed is increased by 5%.
- Shrine of Kimbul – Embrace of Kimbul: Gives your damaging abilities a chance to inflict additional bleeding damage on your target for six seconds. Stacks up to three times.
- Shrine of Krag’wa – Embrace of Krag’Wa: When active, taking damage has a chance to increase your maximum health and armour.
- Shrine of Pa’ku – Your damaging abilities have a chance to grant you 4% critical strike chance.
As with previous allied races, the Kul Tirans and Zandalari will require players to complete a host of quests and activities, all whilst slogging through a lengthy rep grind in order to unlock each race as playable characters. WoW fans will have to be swift however, as further changes are coming to the game next month to prepare for Battle for Azeroth’s second major content update: Rise of Azshara.