Anthem, BioWare’s attempt to break into the looter-shooter genre, received another new patch update this week. The patch included more big fixes and some much needed additions to Anthem’s endgame and interface.
To say that Anthem has had a rocky start would be putting it mildly. The game has suffered (and continues to suffer) harsh criticism from both critics and the wider gaming community, but the team at BioWare are forging ahead with their vision and trying to make Anthem the game it deserves to be.
The latest patch from BioWare (entitled 1.1.0) added a new endgame Stronghold to Anthem called The Sunken Cell, bringing the total number of Strongholds in the game to four. Also added were some much needed quality of life improvements. Players can now browse and accept Contracts from the Expedition Summary screen, instead of having to go to the individual Contracts boards for Freelancers/Sentinels/Arcanists within Fort Tarsis or the Launch Bay. This feature enables players to launch their next Mission directly from the Expedition Summary screen too, so you won’t have to make a pit stop every time you complete an activity – unless you want to of course.
Lastly and probably most importantly, the patch added the ability to access the Forge during Missions, Strongholds, and Freeplay – allowing players to change weapons and equipment on the fly. No more muddling through your current expedition with that new weapon you just got during the last expedition, then it turns out to be absolute crap but you were testing it out because it’s the strongest bit of gear you have right now and now you’re stuck staring down a rampaging Ursix with nothing but a Heavy Pistol and strong language in your arsenal. No more of that – and no more hopping back and forth to Fort Tarsis or the Launch Bay just to change your loadout.
This is a feature that the community has been clamouring for since release day, and it’s good to see that it’s finally here and BioWare have managed to make it work.
You can read the full patch notes for 1.1.0 below:
- Added additional cortex entries to explain combo, detonator, and primer abilities.
- Added new Universal Masterwork Components.
Extended Sniper Magazine: Adds specialized storage for enhanced sniper rifle ammunition. Increases damage by 30% of base damage. Increases maximum magazine size of sniper rifles by a large amount.
Rapid Hollow Points: Adds specialized ammo storage for machine pistols and autocannons. Increases damage by 30%. Increases weak point damage of machine pistols and autocannons.
Extended Special Arms Magazine: Adds specialized ammo storage for heavy pistols and grenade launchers. Increases damage by 30%. Increases maximum magazine size of heavy pistols and grenade launchers by a large amount.
- Added primer/detonator icons in the cortex next to gear entries.
- Fixed a bug where “Legendary Freelancer” Javelin challenge objectives weren’t completing correctly in the challenge journal.
- Resolved an issue where players were being kicked back to Fort Tarsis when loading into quickplay missions.
- Fixed a problem where the “Arcanist Loyalty 3″ trophy could not granted on PlayStation 4.
- Fixed an issue where notifications for challenges were not appearing correctly.
- Resolved an issue where after respawning, you could be downed again prior to re-loading back in fully.
- Added STT (Speech-to-Text) and TTS (Text-to-Speech) on all platforms.
Gameplay Balance Adjustments
- Masterwork Weapons:
Retaliation of Garretus – Trajector Machine Pistol
Increased bonus from 200% to 400%
Rolling Carnage – Vengeance Shotgun
Increased bonus from 50% stacking 3 times, to 83.33% stacking 3 times.
The Last Stand – Mauler Autocannon
Increased bonus from 200% to 225%
Fist of Stral – Cloudburst Autocannon
Increased bonus from 10% stacking 10 times, to 16% stacking 10 times.
Unending Battle – Fulcrum Machine Pistol
Increased bonus from 110% to 135%
Death From Above – Guardian Marksman Rifle
Increased bonus from 65% to 235%
Wyvern Blitz – Deadeye Sniper Rifle
Increased bonus from 40% to 185%
- Masterwork Gear:
Final Judgment – HE Mortar
Increased bonus from 35% to 55%
Fist of the Crucible – Flamethrower
Increased bonus from 12% *10 to 24% *10
Serpent’s Veil – Venom Bomb
Increased bonus from 100% to 202.5%
Ruthless Stalker – Searching Glaive
Increased bonus from 60% to 110%
Bitter Harvest – Cluster Mine
Increased bonus from 60% to 110%
Cold Blooded – Frost Grenade
Increased bonus from 235% to 270%
Avenger’s Boon – Pulse Blast
Increased bonus from 210 % to 220%
Ponder Infinity – Lightning Strike
Increased bonus from 60% to 165%
Chaotic Rime – Frost Shards
Increased bonus from 125% to 250%
- Friendly player projectiles should now be able to pass through Javelins in your squad.
- Colossus’ Firewall Mortar should now more reliably spawn the Firewall effect when directly hitting enemies, sloped surfaces, or next to walls.
Status Effects / Combos:
- Delay between when players and creatures are frozen and when the visual effect is applied has been reduced to improve readability of the status effect.
- If a player applies a status effect that already exists on a target, but the new status effect has a higher damage than the existing one, the damage will now scale to that higher value.
- Players who prime targets for combos will now also see the “Combo” text when detonated by another player.
- Increased the damage of the Electric status effect when applied to creatures.
- Fixed additional issues where the Titan fireball projectile attack was hitting players when they successfully dodged/evaded.
- Fixed an issue where the Titan would not always use all of its available attacks.
- Adjusted environmental lightning strikes to not target javelins directly as frequently.
- Fixed an issue where the predicted gear score was inaccurate if you were selecting to equip a higher tier component than was currently equipped.
- Fixed a bug where the Colossus shield wouldn’t appear when deployed to other players in the squad.
- Resolved several issues where status effects remained on the player far longer than the actual effect (e.g. the Frozen status effect appearing on the javelin after the effect has ended).
- Fixed a bug where the Storm’s shield did not get the intended 20% damage resistance increase while hovering.
- Fixed a bug where the Interceptor Ultimate attack would not chain when holding the fire button instead of holding the melee button.
- Bulwark Point now properly gets duration increases from utility duration bonus inscriptions.
- Fixed a bug where Interceptor melee gear was not going on cooldown when used in air.
- Fixed an issue where explosive projectiles were not affecting destructible combat objects (e.g. scar bunkers).
- Fixed a problem where the Storm’s Seal of the Open Mind Masterwork would incorrectly allow a player to fire 3 charges when the UI only showed 2 available.
- Fixed a bug where gear recharge progress could be lost if you used a charge while additional charges were being restored.
- Fixed an error where the Masterwork Colossus Stock Augment had a lower base % increase than its non-Masterwork counterparts. (Increased from 5% to 35%).
- Fixed the Ranger Grenadier Component text to properly display the stat value %.
- Fixed a problem with the Special Arms Ammo component not properly increasing grenade launcher damage.
Status Effects / Combos
- Fixed some instances where multiple players contributing to a single status effect would see incorrect floating values
- Fixed an issue where you could receive a status effect from a creature attack while invulnerable.
- Fixed a problem where the Legion of Dawn rifle disappears from the forge while in the Launch Bay
- Fixed a bug where ammo pick-ups weren’t restoring any ammo in the current magazine for the Devastator Sniper Rifle.
- Fixed the Striker’s Balance weapon so that the weapon accuracy and projectile trajectory should be corrected when the bonus is applied.
- Corrected Torrent Autocannon description text to match current functionality.
- Fixed a bug where Avenging Herald was incorrectly applying its bonus damage to secondary weapons while holstered. This bonus is now only active when Avenging Herald is the active weapon.
- All Devastator Sniper Rifle weakpoint hit multipliers have been corrected to a 1.75 multiplier.
- Updated “Critical Damage” to “Weakpoint Damage” in any text descriptions.
Updated “Impact Dmg” to “Kinetic Dmg” in any text descriptions.
Updated “Impact Resist” to “Kinetic Resist” in any text descriptions.
- Corrected formatting on the inscription values for Overheat Delay Recovery, Thruster Delay Recovery, and Weap Reload Speed so they no longer have multiple +/- values.
- Removed text from the Masterwork Flamethrower which indicated that it was a detonator when it is not.
- Removed the duplicate second pistol from Argentum Tran’s Sidearm case after completing the Freelancer Reputation Rewards – Level 3.
- Elysian Key marker over daily challenges no longer disappears on returning to Fort Tarsis.
- Fixed an issue where Yarrow’s final conversation could play too early in some scenarios.
- Removed Dax from the background of a conversation where you are told she went out to get some tea.
- Fixed an issue where Commander Vule left the frame during a conversation with Brin and the player.
- Fixed an issue where Jarek Arnel’s arm clipped badly into the wall.
- Resolved an issue where you were told that your squad was waiting on you to ready up, when it wasn’t true.
- Resolved an issue where Faye wasn’t shown in a cinematic scene that she is speaking in with Haluk.
- Fixed various spelling and grammatical errors in the journal and library entries.
- Fixed an issue where targeted creatures in freeplay would lose their target icon if you flew too far away from the arena and returned.
- Fixed an issue where sentinels disappeared from the Sentinel Support World Event, making it impossible to complete the event.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn’t progress in the Tombs of the Legionnaires quest if one member of your squad had not unlocked that quest yet.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn’t interact with and enter the Tomb of Artinia when you had completed the requirements to unlock it.
- Picking up some collectible archives were limited to the player that interacted with them. Now all players within 100m of the player collecting the archive will automatically collect the archive as well.
- Fixed an issue where turrets could spawn too far away from the world event location.
- Fixed an issue where being downed in the Arcanist Korox Study world event would not reset properly when you came back.
- Downed players are now automatically revived when the stronghold boss is defeated.
- Temple of the Scar: Fixed an issue where the fog wall visual effect remained, even though it didn’t actually prevent the player from progressing.
- Temple of the Scar: Fixed an issue where the player could escape the world near the waterfall.
- Tyrant Mine: Prevented turrets from spawning in the second area before players were led there and the rest of the enemies had spawned in to fix an exploit.
- Heart of Rage: Fixed an issue where enemies could be trapped behind a fog wall, preventing the player from progressing.
Critical Path and Legendary Missions
- Heart of Rage: Fixed an issue where killing the titan without entering the arena would cause you to respawn backwards, making it impossible to advance and complete the mission.
- Legendary Incursion: Fixed an issue where the plot wouldn’t advance after listening to the recording.
- Legendary Missions: Fixed an issue where the final chest would never appear at the end of the mission if you were too far away from the chest.
- Legendary Fortress of Dawn: Fixed an issue for the second trial where the plot would break if one player was slow to load in and the other player ran ahead.
- Legendary Freelancer Down: Fixed an issue where the plot wouldn’t progress until all members of the squad had reached the specified point.
- Legendary Finding Old Friends: Fixed an issue where enemies could be stuck behind a fog wall, preventing the plot from progressing.
- Fixed an issue where the notification of Legendary Missions being unlocked after completing the critical path was not displaying.
- Legendary Lost Arcanist: Fixed an issue where the Escari was teleporting around too frequently.
- Legendary Freelancer Down: Fixed a respawn point that was very far away from the objective.
- Contract – Freelancer Work: Fixed an issue where the step to protect the Arcanists wasn’t working correctly when joining through Quick Play.
Sadly it’s not all sunshine and rainbows though. In addition to all the good news BioWare had for Anthem fans, there was also a bit of bad. Some of the content previously announced on the game’s 90 day roadmap is being delayed. To their credit, BioWare have been very transparent about why these delays are happening and they acknowledge that this decision will upset the community.
BioWare lead producer Ben Irving and head of live services Chad Robertson were apologetic as they made the announcement on Reddit. The delays will affect a number of features and additions previously due to appear in-game before May, including the ambitious Cataclysms teased since before Anthem’s release. Cataclysms are described as limited-time events that will play out over a number of weeks, bringing new enemies and dramatic changes to the world’s terrain and climate.
You can read the full Reddit post from Irving and Robertson here.